PhD Classical Studies
The Open University, 2016
Funded by: Open University Arts Faculty PhD Studentship (full award)
Thesis: Infertility, blame and responsibility in the Hippocratic Corpus
Supervisors: Professor Helen King & Dr James Robson
Examiners: Dr Patty Baker, Dr Valerie Hope & Dr Laura Swift.
University of Reading, 2010
Dissertation: ‘The ghost of former womanhood’. The menopause and the ageing female in antiquity.
MA Museum and Galleries: Culture, Communication and Collections
University of Southampton, 2006
Dissertation: Materia Medica in museums: The past, present and future uses of medical collections in English Museums.
BA (Hons) Ancient History and Archaeology
University of Reading, 2005
Dissertation: Documentaries on Pompeii: Historical fact or modern day fiction?
Visiting Research Fellow
Classical Studies, The Open University, August 2016 – November 2019
Visiting Research Fellow
History and Philosophy of Science, University of Leeds
October 2016– November 2018
Awards and Funding (selected)
Society for the History of Medicine Travel Grant, April 2017, Award amount: £320
Fondation Hardt Graduate Bursary Scheme, Classical Association, December 2014, Award amount: £500
Main research Interests
- Ancient medicine and experiencing the body.
- Social history of ancient Greece and Rome.
- Gender in the ancient world.
- Medical terminology in ancient Greek and Latin.
University of Leeds, Classics (2016/2017)
- Ancient Empires: Power and Control, Seminar tutor
- Edge of Empire, Assessment marking
- Pompeii – past, present and future, Assessment marking
University of Leeds, Medical school (2013- Present)
- History of Medicine
- This module occurs annually and I teach a selection of lectures and seminars from the following list:
- Introduction to Hippocratic Medicine
- Infertility and Fertility in Ancient Greece
- Introduction to Hippocratic & Galenic Medicine
- Ancient Medicine & Renaissance Medical Teaching
- Hippocratic Oath
- The Ancient Origins of Medical Terminology
Services to the Discipline
October 2017 - Present
Book Reviewer, British Society for the History of Medicine
Administrator, Classical Association Conference, Hosted by University of Kent & Open University
Co-organiser, Classics and Feminist Pedagogy: Practical Tips for Teaching, Women’s Classical Committee (UK) hosted at the University of Birmingham, Funded by Council of University Classical Departments
Outreach & Other activities
Online facilitator & contributor, Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World MOOC, Open University hosted on the Future Learn platform.
2016 – Present
Volunteer Blogger, Leeds City Museums, Secret Lives of Objects Blog
October 2017 - January 2018
Administrative assistant, Hercules Project, University of Leeds
- British Society for the History of Medicine
- British Society for the History of Science
- Classical Association
- Society for Classical Studies
- Society of the History of Medicine
- Women’s Classical Committee (UK)
- Museum Association